Business Lawyer Maryland
If you are in need of a professional business lawyer Maryland companies trust, contact the law firm of Brown Kiely LLP. Our legal team has over two decades of business law experience and can provide you with quality legal representation in all aspects of civil litigation. Whether your business is a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, S-corporation, or larger entity, our law firm can offer you the skilled representation you need.
When a person has a specific medical need, they typically go to a physician who specializes in that area of medicine. For example, if a person has fractured a bone, they may go to an orthopedist who specializes in injuries to the skeletal system. For this type of injury they would not go to a dermatologist who specializes in skin conditions.
The same holds true in the practice of law. If you have a business law issue, then it is most likely in your best interest to consult with an experienced business lawyer Maryland residents depend on and not a lawyer who specializes in other areas of law. Business law can be very complex. Federal, state, and regional laws often change. In order to protect your company, you want to make sure the business lawyer in Maryland you consult with is one who consistently stays up-to-date and on top of all these changes.
Common Types of Business Laws for Business Owners to Abide By
When running a successful business, a business lawyer Maryland companies trust will tell you how it is imperative to understand the array of legal implications that need to be followed. Business law requires that regulations be put in place so that your company can function successfully. This includes regulation regarding bankruptcy, sales, operations and taxes. It’s important that, as a business owner, you abide by every business law that may apply to you. Contacting a Maryland business lawyer from Brown Kiely LLP can help you to better understand the laws, and ultimately avoid encountering legal ramifications in the future. Learn about Legal Concerns When Choosing a Business Entity.
Areas a Business Lawyer in Maryland May Address
When you speak with a business lawyer Maryland knows for skilled representation, you’ll find that are a lot of laws in place that could apply to your business. For example:
- Finance law is there in the event that a business has to file for bankruptcy. It will protect the investors, business owners, and even customers.
- Privacy law is in place to protect the confidentiality of customers. It does so by securing any private information that a business collects.
- Marketing and advertising law is put in place so that any claims by companies must actually be true and honest.
- Employment and labor laws are put into place to protect employees. Your business lawyer Maryland seeks out to understand these laws will tell you that they require business owners to provide a fair minimum wage, not enlist child labor, enforce overtime rules and wages, and manage personal records.
- Online business law states that business transactions must be regulated, and enforces this. Oftentimes, businesses have online sales and transactions are filed. Understanding the effect online revenue may have on your company can be very beneficial to a business owner.
Intellectual property law helps protect any trademark, copyright, patents or designs that your company has in place or is currently developing.
- Property law allows business owners to file patents so that they can prevent their competitors from using their ideas. The right business lawyer Maryland companies rely upon can be helpful to ensure that you complete all of your necessary paperwork in order to protect your business.
- Workplace safety and health law is put in place to safeguard your employees from unsafe and hazardous conditions and environments. It is crucial that business provide a safe workplace to employees.
The inner workings of business law may be difficult to grasp, as there are many intricacies that are vital to the functioning of the company. As confusing as it may be, not abiding by these laws, regardless of whether or not it was accidental, could ultimately lead to jail time. You should consult with Brown Kiely LLP to begin working with a business lawyer Maryland knows can guide companies through this process, and who will be able to ensure that your business follows all regulations that are in place.
Services a Business Lawyer Maryland Offers May Provide
- Contract Disputes: One frequent legal issue that companies often deal with are contract disputes. Some of the most common types of contract disputes our law firm handles include service contracts, real estate, sales contracts, commercial loans, and corporate governance issues. As a Maryland business lawyer, we can resolve even the most complex situations involving contract disputes.
- Partnership and Shareholder Disputes: Business partnerships are similar to marriages. Just like in a marriage, disagreements and disputes can occur between business partners that need to be addressed, either through negotiations to work out the issue, or dissolution to end the partnership. Whatever the situation, you can be assured that our business lawyers are skilled negotiators who will work to get you the best outcome possible.
- Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants: We understand how critical it is for a company’s success when it comes to safeguarding trade secrets, proprietary data, and other confidential information. One of the best ways to avoid complicated and distracting litigation in the future is to make sure that all non-compete contracts and restrictive covenants you present to employees are legally solid. Our lawyers will also ensure that all of these documents will comply with any applicable state and federal employment laws.
Contact a Business Lawyer Maryland Clients Count On
Regardless of the nature of your commercial litigation issues, if you are looking for a business lawyer in Maryland, contact Brown Kiely LLP today. We are available to meet and discuss what your business needs are and how our lawyers can help.
Call a professional business lawyer Maryland companies recommend to set up an appointment to discuss your case or if you would like to just learn more about our law firm.
How Your Company Can Negotiate Better Distribution Contracts
Through the crafting of an effective distribution agreement, distributors and suppliers can form a very valuable symbiotic relationship. Both parties will be able to obtain mutual benefits through their contract in the form of increased sales volume, higher profit margins and a greater market share. Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, a properly-drafted distribution contract can help to ensure that legal disputes are avoided. The simple fact is that litigation related to a contract dispute can be time-consuming and expensive.
No business wants to deal with unnecessary litigation. Fortunately, the risk of a dispute can be dramatically reduced by working with an experienced Maryland business lawyer from Brown Kiely LLP. Each of our business attorneys have extensive experience working with businesses in the geo area and are available to assist your company in all legal needs.
Three Steps to Better Distribution Contracts
- Do Your Due Diligence
One of leading causes of failed business relationships is simply a lack of due diligence. Far too many distributor/supplier relationships run into problems because of the fact that insufficient care was taken to draft and review the agreement. Before getting involved with a partner business, your company needs to know that the other firm is reliable. It cannot be emphasized enough: All distributors and suppliers should engage in an extensive investigative review process before signing on the dotted line. A business lawyer in Maryland can help with this process
- Look to Achieve a Balance
Of course, the most important thing in negotiating a contract is to protect the rights and interests of your company. However, what some negotiators fail to realize is that your company can often get more value by looking to achieve a balance. This does not mean that your company’s interests should take a back seat, but instead that you should look for mutual benefits during negotiations. This is especially important when it comes to distribution contracts as any friction within the relationship between the business could eventually adversely affect both companies.
- Know the Importance of Proper Contract Construction
Finally, perhaps the most important step of contract negotiation is construction of the contract itself. Without proper execution, all the good will created between the businesses during the negotiation does actually mean that much. Value is obtained through execution. This is why distributors and suppliers should always be represented by an experienced business lawyer. Much of the time, contract litigation arises because of sloppy contract construction. By comprehensively addressing all issues during the drafting process, two partner companies will be able to dramatically reduce the chances that they will end up in an undesirable contract dispute.
Do You Need Legal Advice?
An experienced business lawyer Maryland clients trust from Brown Kiely LLP is ready to help. If your company is currently negotiating a distribution contract, or if your firm is involved with any type of contract dispute, please do not hesitate to contact our office today for a free review of your case.
Setting a Business with the Help of a Business Lawyer Maryland Offers
If you are in the beginning stages of starting your own business, you should consider consulting a business lawyer to verify any legislation, rules, or tax obligations by which your company might have to abide. Furthermore, a business lawyer in Maryland can help you establish your new company by making sure all legalities are met, including applications and documentation. This can help you save time and money in the long run, and offer you peace of mind that everything is handled correctly. To speak with a business lawyer, call Brown Kiely LLP today. Is Your Business Facing a Lawsuit?
There are multiple steps that you must take when starting your own business. This includes developing a business plan, developing a financial structure for the business, and choosing as well as registering a company name.
Another important step is deciding on the business structure. Each of the following types has their advantages and disadvantages. Choosing the right one for your needs is important because it will determine your liability as the owner, including your tax obligations. A business lawyer can explain each to you in more detail as they may apply in your unique set of circumstances. The most common choices for business structures include these four types:
1. Sole Proprietorship – Simplest business structure with pass-through taxation. Offers no protection from personal liability.
2. General Partnership – Like a sole proprietorship but has at least two or more owners.
3. Corporation – A complex business structure with the most protection from liability concerns. However, it is subject to double taxation.
4. Limited Liability Company – Offers the best aspects of the above, including protection from liability and pass through taxation. Special requirements to maintaining an LLC do apply.
The Dos and Don’ts of Setting Up Your Business
- Do understand personal liability and tax obligations of each business structure before making a choice.
- Do create a business plan as it might dictate your best structure options beforehand.
- Do ensure you are meeting state and federal requirements. A Maryland business lawyer from our firm can assist you with this.
- Do submit your documentation in full, making sure everything is correct to the best of your knowledge. We will be happy to review your forms and make sure it is likely to be approved the first time.
- Do speak with a business lawyer for clarification and assistance.
- Do have a business lawyer in Maryland from our firm review any contracts or agreements before you submit them.
- Don’t start to operate your business before choosing the structure.
- Don’t assume you can operate in multiple states. For example, some business structures are not recognized outside of their state. This means they will likely lose the protection of liability.
- Don’t feel overwhelmed by the process. As complicated as everything might look, there may be a solution that matches your needs. A business lawyer in Maryland can be invaluable in helping you to choose a structure that works.
Seek Legal Advice When Deciding on a Business Structure
When you are choosing a business structure for a new business, or thinking about restructuring your current business, you should understand that there are many factors to consider. Without doing so, complications in the future could arise.
If you would like professional guidance on business structures and the overall setup of a business, call us. For decades we have assisted clients with a broad range of business legal services including set up, litigation, acquisitions, mergers, drafting contracts, and more.
Our extensive experience and knowledge of business law allows us to assist our clients reach their goals. Learn how beneficial a business lawyer in Maryland can be for your new company. Whether you are a small business with less than five employees, a mid-size business, or a large company, one of our business lawyers may be able to help you.
To request a free consultation with a business lawyer in Maryland from Brown Kiely LLP, give us a phone call or use our online contact form.
Resolving Business Disputes
Are you starting a business and need to speak to a business lawyer Maryland residents trust? Congratulations! You’re excited to launch your business plan, you’ve found partners and suppliers, and you’re confident there are customers out there. Now all you need is a seasoned Maryland business lawyer to move forward.
This would be a good time to also develop a dispute resolution policy with a law firm businesses turn to. At Brown Kiely LLP, we have more than 20 years of experience helping businesses and partnerships amicably traverse obstacles that may arise.
When everything looks so promising, it’s hard to see how it could go wrong. The truth is, there are many ways it can. The good news is there are many ways to prevent small disagreements from growing into complicated disputes which damage relationships and drain resources. A skilled business lawyer Maryland companies depend on can guide you through this process.
A business lawyer Maryland residents turn to such as one of the attorneys at Brown Kiely LLP, can offer you legal advice and assistance with a legal dispute. From the day we opened our doors in 1998 until present day, we have served the people of Maryland with efficiency, integrity, and success. We can offer you a business lawyer in Maryland you can trust.
Many of our clients come to us for help in times of distress or uncertainty for their company. There are many reasons why it may become necessary to hire a business lawyer.
Our business lawyer in MD can assist you with a current or impending legal dispute. Our attorneys are experienced with handling a wide range of legal cases in the area of business law. We offer a no-obligation free case review which can help you determine if you are in need of a business lawyer.
The business world is competitive and disputes between companies or among a company’s owners are not unusual. A Maryland business lawyer from our firm can review your case and provide guidance as to whether or not you may wish to proceed with litigation or perhaps consider a settlement. Some of the most common reasons why you may require the assistance of an experienced business lawyer include:
- Contract rights
- The state files a complaint against your business
- Environmental problems against your business
There are many reasons why someone might need a business lawyer Maryland provides, and our staff at Brown Kiely LLP can meet with you at one of our two Baltimore area locations. Our team of attorneys has successfully handled even the most complex business disputes and issues. We understand that unresolved legal concerns and litigation can be damaging from a financial standpoint and to a company’s reputation. As a result, our attorneys make every effort to resolve matters quickly and cost efficiently.
There are four main areas of business law that our staff focuses on and they are:
- Business torts
- Partnership and shareholder disputes
- Trade secrets and restrictive covenants
Stop by one of our offices today to see how we can assist you with your legal matter, and if we are the best fit for you and your company.
Choose Brown Kiely LLP
Our team of eight attorneys has decades of combined experience. Our firm can match you with a business lawyer Maryland professionals can trust. Your Brown Kiely LLP attorney can be by your side throughout the legal process and protect your best interests. Our legal team can make every effort to achieve the optimum solution for your situation. In advance of taking your case, one of our attorneys can meet with you for a confidential and no-cost case review. This can give you a clear picture of your options. Contact Brown Kiely LLP today: call us at one of our two locations to talk to a business lawyer Maryland companies have long relied on.